Friday, July 10, 2009

Absurd.

Sometimes I get totally ridiculous, absurd ideas in my head. And once they're in there, I can't get them out again. Take this week, for instance. Tommorrow, Handsome's sister arrives for a four day visit. On Tuesday, my cousin "The Dish" arrives for nearly two weeks. Wednesday we're leaving for a 5 day camping trip in Washington. What would one be doing the week prior to such events? Probably lightly cleaning house, doing some laundry, planning menus and grocery shopping? Sounds doable, right?

Well this girl had other plans. I decided it was a good time to completely spring clean the entire house (I realize it's July, let's pretend I did this months ago), clean the fish tank, go through each of our closets and thin out wardrobes, weed the entire yard, detail the cars, wash and wax the kitchen floor, clean out the garage, wash windows, and my latest and greatest idea...PAINT.

I was in the middle of tossing my kitchen upside down yesterday when I got to thinking about how gross our bathroom is, and then I got the urge to paint it. I looked at my "to do" list. I considered how far behind I was. My eye caught the Lowe's ad on the dining room table. Aha- paint is on sale! It's a sign, I must paint! Hmm, where will I find time to get that done? Well I suppose I could skip "organize DVD's by genre"...and maybe I could alphabetize our cd collection another time. I bet if I clean the guest bathroom after Sassy-pants goes to bed tonight (yeah right) and I get up an hour earlier tommorrow (hahaha) I could do it. Oh yeah, totally doable. Nevermind the fact that I'll probably waste at least an hour walking around Lowe's, paint in hand...

Now here it is, Friday at noon and I have yet to clean the fish tank, vacuum and clean bathrooms, take clothes to Goodwill, finish weeding, wash rugs and sheets, tape the bathrooom, and oh yeah- PAINT it. And I suppose we should set up the tent to make sure our air mattress fits in it...and I need to pick up Sassy-pants from daycare. And we're supposed to have pork tenderloin and au gratin potatoes for dinner. And here I sit, blogging. I love how my reasoning works.

And I wish I could say I don't always operate this way, but that's not true...last Thanksgiving the house still smelled like paint when our guests arrived, and I had to ask them not to touch the hallway walls, as they were still wet (what is it with me and paint??). And I am almost always washing the guest bed sheets when my parents walk in the door for a weekend visit. Me and organization, logic, and time management need to sit down and have a chat.

Stupid absurd ideas of mine. Stupid to do lists. Stupid to do lists full of absurd ideas. I need help.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so impressed you came even close to getting even half of that done that I can't feel as sorry for you as I probably should be. (But I am coming from a perspective of incredible sloth-like-ness over here). However, doing too much does have a familiar ring to it... so hopefully this just means you'll really appreciate your vacation :)
-Lisa

Natasha said...

That is too funny! Don't touch the hallways!!

I am somewhat dismayed to say that I can so relate. I have a huge deadline for a class due- but how can I possibly sit down and do that when I need to pull out the fridge and clean under it and on top of it. Well if I am going to do that I may as well re- organize a few cupboards. Tick tick deadline anyone? Oh yeah but first I should clean out the laundry room and yes I too, should PAINT!! Oh man what is up with that?

Thanks for the giggle!