Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dryer Sheets and Ketchup

Today is a big day. Something major happened. Something I've been expecting for quite some time, and really, I'm surprised it took this long. This is big, people.

I ran out of dryer sheets.

I know this doesn't seem like a very big deal, but for me it is. Why, you ask? Because in my 3+ years of married life, I have never had to buy dryer sheets. I have been working on the same stack from the first load of laundry I did after we were married. I have not purchased a single package of dryer sheets since then.

You're probably wondering if I have really strict standards for the level of filth our clothing must attain before I deem it necessary to do laundry, but I don't. I do laundry once a week like most people I know, and I always throw a dryer sheet in with each load. I don't reuse them. I don't keep a stack in the bathroom to aid in managing flyaway hair. Or hang them on my porch to keep the mosquitos away. One sheet per load.

It truly does amaze and entertain me that I have never needed to replenish our supply of dryer sheets. And it makes me laugh because we actually had a similar problem with ketchup at the beginning of our marriage. When we moved in together we each brought kitchen condiments from our respective houses. He had one bottle of ketchup, I had two...we had a family gathering after our wedding so we bought one of those Costco sized bottles....(that would bring the tally to 4 bottles in case you weren't following...and keep in mind, neither of us really love ketchup to begin with). It took us hundreds of french fries and a cross country move to get rid of all that ketchup.

The dryer sheets accumulated in much the same way. He brought his supply to our new home, I brought mine. I received samples of some "environmentally responsible" cleaning products and there was a box included amongst my sample gifts. We also received a package or two as part of a wedding gift.

So, for three years I've been plugging away at them, waiting for the day I would run out. Today is the day!

Married folks- anyone else have an abundance of ketchup and dryer sheets at the beginning of your marriage? Or was it something normal, like coffee cups?

5 comments:

Natasha said...

Hey I found you- ummm let me try to remember what we had an abundance of....Oh Yeah cheese balls and swim noodles. But not because we mergered our respective supplies. No. It would be because Troy thought it would be funny to put cheese balls and swim noodles on our registry. People in turn thought it would be in equal hilarity to buy mongo packages of cheese balls and plenty of them. I am sure our skin had an orange hue for months after the wedding and no I have not purchased them since. As for the noodles- the last one died this summer.

Lisa said...

I am REALLY entertained by the previous person's story. Mine's less interesting. We had a plethora of: Q tips (I bought a giant box before the wedding, and apparently so did Dave), and right after the wedding I bought a thing of aluminum foil- nothing special, just the regular-sized Albertson's brand.

It's been 1 year and 4 months, ish. We still have plenty of both, which I do find a little weird since I use Q tips every day.

-Lisa

PS: You only do one load of laundry a week??!! Do you have a giant washing machine or something?

Anonymous said...

Ha, I should have clarified- I only do laundry once a week (ish) but it's at least a couple loads each week.

Cheese balls and swim noodles...that is so something my husband would take advantage of on a wedding registry!

As for the Q tips- we seem to have a problem with those too. Those things are crazy, I swear they multiply when you aren't looking.

Sweet Shibui Photography said...

And I, in my single and infinite wisdom life, never have enough Q-tips. Go figure.

Leon1234 said...

That was lovely.